package (see next).
Beginner (1 day course - £100 for up to 4 people)
- Maps symbols and scales
- Grid references
- Orienting the map with and without a compass
- Identifying land features and direction of travel
- Route planning and navigation strategies
- Using linear features as 'handrails'
- Estimating distance on both map and ground
- Understanding contours
- Relocation techniques
- Emergency procedures
Intermediate (1 day course - £120 for up to 4 people)
- Devising a strategy, 'macro' and 'micro' navigation
- Applying 'aiming off', 'attack points' and 'collecting features'
- Contour interpretation
- Understanding factors affecting route choice
- Judge distance accurately on the map and on the ground
- Plan a safe walk or route
- Relocation strategies and lost protocols
- Compass bearings
- Navigating in demanding countryside and/or extreme weather conditions.
Both courses require a knowledge and understanding of the Countryside Code, rights and responsibilities under access legislation, environmental and conservation issues.